Breakfast on the keto diet is pretty easy to do as long as you steer clear of bread, cereal, pastries and juice. With lots of protein and nutrients, eggs are a no-brainer and can be used in a ton of ways, like in these mini asparagus and cheddar frittatas. Make them in advance and enjoy them all week long for on-the-go breakfasts. Depending on how many calories you're eating each day, you can have two to three mini frittatas in the morning.
Nutrition info: Each frittata is 113 calories each with 7 grams of protein, 9 grams of fat and 2 grams of carbohydrates
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 3/4 bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 12 large spears)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and cheese. Set aside.
3. In a saute pan, heat the oil and butter over high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 1 minute. Add the asparagus and cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables turn bright green. Remove from heat, let cool slightly and then add asparagus to the egg mixture. You don't want to add the hot asparagus directly into the eggs right away because they'll begin to cook the eggs in the tin.
4. Pour the egg mixture evenly into the wells of the muffin pan and bake for 23 minutes. Let the frittatas cool slightly and serve. If you're making these ahead of time, you can also let them cool completely and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.