Samantha Okazaki / TODAY
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, salt, vanilla and milk. Whisk continuously while adding the melted butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa and espresso powder. Sift into the wet ingredients and whisk until combined. Pour through a sieve to get rid of any lumps.
- Pour the batter into a whipped cream canister and charge with 1 charger per manufacturer's instructions. (If you do not have a whipped cream canister, add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder to the dry ingredients and proceed to step 6.)
- Poke 4 small slits into a ten-ounce, wax-lined paper cup with a paring knife.
- Hold the canister upside down and fill the cup about 1/3.
- Microwave each cup for 45 to 55 seconds and place upside down on a plate for about 1 minute. Gently run a knife around the sides of the cup to release the cake. Continue microwaving the remainder of the cakes.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream and berries.