I love this recipe because the steak is smoky and savory while the salad is bright and fresh. It's exactly how I like to eat in the summer!
Technique tip: Rest the steak in some of the vinaigrette so it absorbs more flavor as it's resting.
Swap option: Swap flank steak for skirt.
- 2 teaspoons toasted and ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons toasted and ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds skirt steak, cleaned and trimmed
- 4 ears fresh corn, silks and husks removed
- 1 cup olive oil, plus more
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely grated
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 6 limes, zested and juiced
- 6 small scallions, thinly sliced (whites and greens)
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves and small stems
- 1½ cups fresh blackberries
1. Preheat a grill to high heat.
2. In a small mixing bowl combine the cumin, coriander, chili powder and 2 teaspoons salt.
3. Lay out the skirt steak and season well on both sides with the rub. Set aside.
4. Lay the corn out on a sheet tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the corn on the grill and cook, turning on all sides, until nicely marked and almost cooked through. Remove from the grill and set aside.
5. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the garlic, jalapeño and a large pinch of salt. Add the lime zest, lime juice and 1 cup of olive oil and whisk to combine. Pour half of the vinaigrette in to a separate mixing bowl and set aside. To the first mixing bowl, add the scallions, cilantro and blackberries and toss gently to combine. When cool enough to handle, cut the corn off the cob and mix in to the salad. Set aside.
6. Drizzle the steak with olive oil and place on the grill. Cook without moving around until nicely charred then flip and continue to cook until medium rare, about 5 minutes total. Remove the steak to the bowl of reserved vinaigrette to rest for at least 5 minutes.
7. Remove the steak from the marinade and slice thinly against the grain. Place on a platter and top with the corn and blackberry salad.