I love this recipe because it is really quick and easy to make and it combines all the essential flavors of Mediterranean cooking into one beautiful dish.
Technique tip: Take pasta from water and put it directly into the sauté pan to absorb in the sautéed flavors before it's put into the serving bowl.
Swap option: Substitute crab for shrimp, but instead of adding in the crab to the sauté pan in step 2, you would add it in to the pan in step 3 and then gently stir before putting it all in the serving bowl.
- 10 ounces dry spaghetti
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3/4 cup basil pesto, homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped Italian parsley, to garnish
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Add pasta and cook according to package directions.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large pan over high heat. Add in garlic and sauté until translucent. Then add cleaned shrimp, dried basil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until shrimp turn pink. Turn off the heat.
3. Add in olives, pine nuts and the pesto. Stir to completely coat everything with pesto and blend the flavors.
4. Transfer to serving dish and add halved cherry tomatoes, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese then finish with a garnish of chopped Italian parsley.