8, with leftovers
- 4 bacon slices, minced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into small dice
- 3 celery ribs, cut into small dice
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup ketchup
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 3 cups panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 4 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup sorghum syrup or molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
Prepare the meatloaf:
- Put the bacon in a large heavy-bottomed sauté pan set over medium-low heat.Render the bacon and cook until it becomes crispy, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, 10 to 15 minutes. Next add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are slightly caramelized, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in the ketchup, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until all of the vegetables are completely tender.
- Transfer to a bowl and let the vegetables cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Put the beef, pork, and bread crumbs in a large bowl. Whisk together the milk, eggs, and salt until smooth and pour over the meat. Add the cooled vegetables and mix everything together using your hands or a rubber spatula. Shape into two loaves in cast-iron or regular loaf pans.
Make the glaze and bake the meat loaf:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, sorghum syrup, vinegar, and salt. Reserve a small amount separately for brushing over the finished meat loaf.
- Brush some of the glaze over the meat loaf and bake for 30 minutes. Brush with the glaze again, rotate the pan, and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Brush with the glaze again, rotate the pan, and bake for another 15 minutes, for a total cooking time of 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven, finish with a final coat of the reserved glaze, and let the meat loaf rest for 10 minutes before serving.