- 1 1/4 pound lean ground turkey (at least 90% lean)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg, lightly beatened
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teapoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumb, plain or seasoned (optional)
To make a lighter, leaner burger patty that still hits the spot, Joy Bauer combines ground turkey with black beans and hearty spices.
In a large mixing bowl, add black beans and mash by hand using a potato masher (it's fine to leave bean chunks throughout). Toss the remaining ingredients into the bowl with beans and mix thoroughly. Shape into 8 patties and grill or cook in a skillet liberally coated with oil spray for about 5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Serve patties on a whole grain hamburger bun and top with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles and a squirt of ketchup or mustard.