Nothing beats a hearty helping of fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes for a comforting and delicious side dish.
- 1½ pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter, cut into pieces, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup finely shredded Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk, warmed
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
1. Add the potatoes to a large saucepan and cover with cold water by at least 1 inch. Add one teaspoon of the salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, partially covered, until the potatoes are very tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pan.
2. Break up the potatoes with a potato masher or a handheld mixer on low speed. Gradually add 3 tablespoons of the butter and head until incorporated. Gradually add the cream cheese, Parmigiano Reggiano and sour cream, beating well after each addition.
3. Gradually whisk in the warm milk, 2 tablespoons at a time, until well incorporated and the potatoes are fluffy and light (you may not need all the milk). Stir in the thyme and remaining quarter teaspoon salt, or more to taste, the pepper and nutmeg.