This delicious recipe for mashed potatoes enriched with cream cheese came from Martha's mother, Mrs. Kostyra.
Technique Tip: Use a ricer to really break up the potatoes, so they are smooth and creamy.
- 3½ pounds white or Yukon Gold potatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, warmed
1. Place potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt in a medium pot, cover with cold water by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes. Drain and let stand until just cool enough to handle. Rub off skins and discard. Cut potatoes into large pieces.
2. Combine potatoes, cream cheese, butter, milk and 1/4 cup cream in a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat until combined. Season with salt and pepper and beat to desired consistency.
3. Return mashed potatoes to pot and place over medium heat. Add remaining cream and cook, stirring constantly, until heated through. Serve immediately or keep warm in a covered bowl over simmering water for up to 2 hours.