- 1½ cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus 3 tablespoons (cut into small pieces) for preparing the top
- 1 cup sugar, plus 2/3 cup for preparing the top
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 7 thin rounds cored pineapple
We predict this pineapple upside down cake will make an appearance at more than one occasion!
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.2.
With an electric mixer, cream 6 tablespoons butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined. Add flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with the milk in 2, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix just until combined3.
In a 10-inch cast-iron (or ovenproof nonstick) skillet, add remaining sugar and butter over low heat and while stirring, allow to turn a light caramel color. Then place the pineapple rings and top with the batter.4.
Carefully spoon batter over pineapples in skillet. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.5.
Let cake cool in pan 5 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake, then carefully invert onto a platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.