- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces (breasts halved)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 Serrano chile, seeded and chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 lime, zested
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for grill and brushing
I love this grilled chicken recipe because it is simple to prepare, cook and serve. The herbaceous and full-flavored dressing really brightens up the dish.
Combine 1 tablespoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and sprinkle evenly over chicken. Set chicken on a rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate 1 hour or up to overnight (bring to room temperature before grilling).2.
For dressing, combine cilantro, chile, scallions, lime zest and juice and oil. Season with salt.3.
Heat grill to medium, with an indirect heat zone. Lightly oil grates.4.
Lightly brush chicken with oil and place over indirect heat. Cover and cook, turning occasionally, until pieces are cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest parts (avoiding bone) registers 165°F, about 30 minutes. Uncover grill and transfer chicken to direct heat. Cook, turning once, until lightly charred, 3-4 minutes. Brush dressing over chicken as it comes off the grill and place on a plate to serve.