- 4 slice white bread, torn into pieces
- 1 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1 pound medium yellow onion, cut into eighths
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 stalk celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 stalk carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup large egg
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon packed light-brown sugar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
In the bowl of a food processor, pulse bread until fine crumbs form.
Transfer to a medium bowl; add ground beef and ground pork.
Place onion, garlic, celery, carrots and parsley in food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
Add to beef mixture; combine using your hands.
Add egg, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, salt and pepper; combine thoroughly, using your hands.
Place in an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch loaf pan.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup and 2 teaspoons dry mustard, and the brown sugar; stir until smooth.
Brush mixture over top of the meatloaf.
Place the pan on a baking sheet to catch drippings, and transfer to oven.
Bake until a meat thermometer inserted in the center reaches 160 degrees, about 1 1/2 hours.
(If the top of the meatloaf gets too dark, cover with foil and continue baking.)
Let meatloaf stand 15 minutes before slicing.