This lunch favorite is just plain delicious. I love the barbecue feel you get from the tangy red stripe sauce and layers of texture from the crunchy slaw and crispy chicken.
- Leftover fried chicken thighs
Red Stripe Barbecue Sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced whole scallion
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- One 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/4 packed cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 cup beer, preferably Red Stripe
- 1 whole habanero or Scotch bonnet chile
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 cucumber, roughly peeled and seeded
- 2 green apples, cored and peeled
- 2 whole scallions, chopped
- Coarse kosher salt
- 3 whole scallions
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1½ teaspoons chipotle chile powder
- Coarse kosher salt
For the Red Stripe barbecue sauce:
Mix together all ingredients, except for the beer and chile, in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, and then turn the heat down to low and simmer until the onion and the mango are soft, about 20 minutes. Add beer and chile and simmer until the sauce is thick and glossy, about 20 minutes. Strain and discard solids.
For the cucumber-apple slaw:
Whisk the yogurt, sour cream, olive oil and lemon juice together in a bowl. Grate cucumber and apples on the big holes of a box grater onto a clean kitchen towel. Squeeze out liquid. Add the cucumber, apple and scallions to the dressing. Season with salt and toss well.
For the scallion sauce:
Heat a grill pan over high heat. Turn the heat down to medium and grill the scallions until softened and charred in spots, about 3-4 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Chop the scallions and mix with the remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
1. Heat a griddle or grill pan over medium-high heat.
2. Split the buns, butter them lightly, and toast them on the griddle.
3. Spread some scallion sauce on the bottom of the buns. Place a chicken thigh on each bun, spooning a generous amount sauce over each. Add some slaw, put the top on and serve.