The sweet rich flavor of the maple reminds me of Christmas morning. The rye adds a bit of holiday cheer.
Technique tip: Make sure the egg yolks, sugar, molasses, and maple syrup mixture is well beaten and smooth.
Swap option: For a nonalcoholic version, eliminate the vodka and rye. Add 2 cups milk and an additional 1/2 cup maple syrup.
- 14 eggs
- 1½ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 pints half and half
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1½ cups real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 cup High West Rye or your favorite bourbon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 2 teaspoon grated nutmeg (reserve 1 teaspoon for garnish)
- 6 sticks cinnamon for garnish
1. Separate eggs. Beat yolk, sugar, salt, ginger, maple syrup, molasses and nutmeg until mixture is starting to pull away from the bowl and form a ribbon.
2. Mix the vodka and rye with the milk and half & half, then slowly add this mix to the egg mixture.
3. Refrigerate overnight.
4. Serve at room temperature, garnishing each glass with a cinnamon stick and grated nutmeg.