This is a great basic recipe that can be transformed in any way you like and requires only a few simple ingredients, many of which you might already have on hand.
Technique tip: Choose a large skillet to make sure the beef has room to brown. Avoid overcrowding the meat which will cause it to steam.
Swap option: You can use ground turkey or chicken for a leaner version.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt, to taste
1. In a food processor, add the onion, pepper and garlic, and pulse until really finely chopped. Set the veggies aside.
2. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once it starts smoking, add the oil along with the ground beef and break it up as much as you can with a wooden spoon.
3. When the beef is about half way cooked, add the onion mixture along with all the spices and salt, reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 10 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and discard any fat that rendered. Now it's ready to use in any of your favorite recipes.