I think most people want to be able to make restaurant salads at home. It's not hard. I think the perfect salad should have at least three of the following components: a green, grain, fruit, nut and herb. Also, greens, pomegranates, pears, lentils and tangerines are all considered to be lucky foods in various cultures around the world, making this one super lucky salad.
Technique tip: You can sub out different acids and oils to customize dressings.
Swap option: NY strip, filet or any steak cut. Also, you can sub spinach, arugula or salad mixes.
Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large pinch salt
- 1 large pinch pepper
Steak and Salad
- 1/2 cup red or green lentils
- 1 to 1½ pounds flank or strip steak
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce (4 cups chopped), rinsed and dried
- 4 cups baby leaf spinach
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 tangerine, peeled and segmented
- 1 cup roasted pecans halves
- 1/2 cup crumbled sweet blue cheese, such as gorgonzola
For the dressing:
Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined. Rain in olive oil in a thin steady stream as you whisk (the mustard in the dressing will grab the oil and make a stable emulsion). Reserve.
For the steak and salad:
1. In a medium saucepan combine lentils and add enough water to cover by 1 inch.
2. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until lentils are tender but not mushy, about 15 minutes. Rinse under cold water, strain and reserve.
3. Pat the steak dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and a pinch of pepper.
4. Place on a plate and drizzle with olive oil. Heat a grill on high for at least 5 minutes. Grill the steaks for about 3-4 minutes or until well browned on one side. Turn the steaks over and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until steak is medium rare about 125 F or desired doneness. Remove from heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all salad ingredients except for the steak. Reserve some pomegranate, pecan and cheese for garnish. Rain in a nice pinch of salt and pepper. Dress the salad with about half the dressing, toss well to coat. Taste and add dressing to taste.
Plate the salad then slice the steak into 1/2-inch thick tiles and top the salad. Garnish with pomegranate, pecan and cheese.