- 2 cups uncooked white coarse-ground grits
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 pound unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp
- 4 thick slices hickory-smoked bacon, diced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, diced
- 1/2 poblano pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Madeira
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 green onion, chopped
I like to watch people eat this dish as much as I like preparing it. The instant smile that spreads across their faces gets wider and more joyous with each bite.
Technique tip: Use Real stone ground grits, not instant grits.
Swap option: Try using dry sherry instead of Madeira.
For the grits:
Bring 7 cups water to a boil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Slowly whisk in grits; reduce heat to medium, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes. Cover; reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 hour or until tender. Fold in cheese and butter.
For the shrimp:1.
Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.2.
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 4-5 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.3.
Melt butter in skillet with hot drippings. Reduce heat. Add onion, poblano pepper, and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add shrimp and cook, stirring often, 1-2 minutes. Add salt and next 2 ingredients; toss to coat.4.
Sprinkle flour over shrimp mixture; toss. Add broth, Madeira and lemon juice. Cook just until shrimp turn pink, stirring to loosen particles from skillet. Stir in bacon and parsley. Serve over grits with green onion.
TODAY is the broadcast sponsor for this weekend's Charleston Wine and Food Festival and Charleston Wine and Food is providing TODAY's production costs.