This delicious main course from Kevin Curry, founder of Fit Men Cook, is gluten-free and way lower in carbs than classic lasagna.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef or 97% ground turkey
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought marinara sauce, or 4 or 5 roasted vine tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Fresh basil, to taste
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese or 2% cottage cheese mixed with 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400°.
2. Using a mandolin, slice the raw sweet potatoes to about the thickness of a dime coin.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the lean beef, making sure that is finely chopped. Transfer the cooked meat to a large bowl and drain any visible grease. Set aside.
4. Heat the same skillet to medium-high heat and add the olive oil and thinly sliced garlic. After about 3 to 5 minutes of cooking, add the store-bought marinara or roasted tomatoes, Italian seasoning, basil and salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes.
5. You can either add the ground meat to the marinara and mix together or you can add the meat and marinara to a blender and pulse to create an easy-to-spread restaurant-style meat sauce.
6. In a cast-iron skillet or casserole dish, add a few slices of the sweet potato to cover the bottom. Add a layer of the meat sauce, then top with a layer of the ricotta-egg mixture. Repeat again in the same order: the sweet potato slices, then the meat sauce and ricotta mixture. Top with the remaining sweet potato slices, then the final layer of meat sauce. Finish the dish with the mozzarella cheese.
7. Cover the skillet with foil and bake in the oven for at least 50 minutes. Remove the foil for the final 5 minutes of baking so that the cheese slightly browns. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.