These hearty hero sandwiches are special because they're filled with luxurious lobster meatballs, homemade tomato sauce and melty mozzarella cheese.
Swap option: For a cheaper option, substitute shrimp for lobster meatballs.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 basil leaves
- 2 small cans tomato sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sugar, to taste
- 4 lobster meatballs
- 1 cup marinara sauce (recipe above)
- Sliced or shredded mozzarella (3 slices fresh or 1/2 cup shredded)
- Italian bread
- Chopped parsley
For the marinara sauce:
1. In a pan, over low heat add the olive oil and garlic and gently sauté for about 2-3 minutes. Add red pepper flakes and basil and cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce and increase heat to bring to a gentle boil.
3. Season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes, set aside.
For the meatball parmesan hero:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place meatballs and sauce in a small pan or baking dish. Cover meatballs and sauce with cheese and place in the oven. Heat until the cheese is melted.
3. Cut bread in half lengthwise, but not all the way through. Place bread in oven to warm.
4. When the cheese melted, slide meatballs onto sliced bread and garnish with chopped parsley.