This easy recipe turns leftover lobster meatballs into a meaty seafood Bolognese sauce with zesty marinara. Fragrant fried basil leaves add an elegant finish.
Swap option: For a cheaper option, substitute chopped shrimp for lobster meatballs.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 basil leaves
- 2 small cans tomato sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sugar, to taste
- Leftover lobster meatballs
- 3 cups marinara sauce (recipe above)
- 1 box of your favorite pasta
- Fried basil leaves (recipe above)
For the marinara sauce:
1. In a pan, over low heat add the olive oil and garlic and gently sauté for about 2-3 minutes. Add red pepper flakes and basil and cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce and increase heat to bring to a gentle boil.
3. Season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes, set aside.
For the fried basil leaves:
1. Heat oil in a small pan.
2. Add 2-3 leaves at a time and cook for 15-20 seconds, or until crisp.
3. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
4. Repeat with the remaining basil leaves.
For the lobster Bolognese:
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
2. In a sauce pot, crush the meatballs up with the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions.
4. Once the pasta is cooked, drain the water and toss the pasta with the sauce.
5. Garnish with fried basil leaves.