For the best flavor, warm the tortillas briefly in the microwave before serving.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound ground beef sirloin
- 12 soft corn tortillas (6-inch)
- Store-bought salsa and shredded iceberg lettuce, for serving
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion and bell peppers; cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add 1 cup water; cook until water has evaporated and vegetables are softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add beef. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Season taco filling with salt and pepper. To serve, spoon filling onto tortillas, top with salsa and lettuce, and fold to enclose.