- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored and cut in 1-inch wedges
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, shredded
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
You are most likely accustomed to a tomato and basil combination but this refreshing tomato and mint salad is a new twist on an old classic.
Technique tip: Try to purchase local tomatoes. Tomatoes that are shipped are usually picked green and ripened off the vine, producing fruit that has not properly or fully developed its flavor.
Put the tomatoes in a salad bowl with the onion and mint. Toss with the olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.