- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup whole or reduced fat milk
- Zest of 1 medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 medium lemon)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg, yolk and white separated
- 1 tub of whipped cream cheese, for serving
- 1 jar of your favorite jam, for serving
1. Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together in a large bowl and set aside. 2. Stir the ricotta cheese, milk, lemon zest and juice, butter and egg yolk together in a separate bowl.
3. In a third bowl, beat the egg white with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
4. Stir the ricotta cheese mixture into the flour mixture just until the dry ingredients are blended into the wet ingredients. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter, stirring just until incorporated. 5. Heat a griddle or large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-low to medium heat. Drop tablespoonfuls of the batter onto the griddle and cook until each blini is no longer shiny with bubbles starting to form. Flip and cook until golden brown. 6. Transfer the blini to a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate overnight in a sealed container, or freeze on a baking sheet and thaw in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before serving. 7. To serve: Bring the blini to room temperature. Spread with cream cheese and top with spoonfuls of jam to serve.