The beauty of this dish is its simplicity. It's a totally elegant and delicious dish that comes together in minutes and with minimal effort.
Technique tip: Pasta water is a key ingredient in this recipe. Just before the pasta is done cooking, remove a cup of water and hold to the side, before you drain.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 lemons, zested and 2 juiced
- 1/4 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of generally salted water to a boil over high heat.
2. Cook spaghetti one to two minutes less than package instructions, until al dente. Reserve 3/4 cup pasta water after the pasta has finished cooking.
3. While the pasta cooks, make the sauce. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the lemon zest and juice. Add 1/2 cup pasta water and bring to a low simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add the pasta to the skillet and toss to coat in the sauce. Stir in the cream and remaining 1/4 cup of pasta water if it is dry. Turn off the heat and stir in the Parmesan. Serve with freshly ground black pepper and more Parmesan.