- 6 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 cup dried bay leaf
- 1 cup (2-inch) piece parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- 2 cup medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) spaghetti or other short pasta, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cup cooked rotisserie chicken, preferably breast meat, diced
- 1 cup grated romano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a large stockpot, bring the chicken broth, lemon juice, bay leaf, and Parmesan rind, if using, to a boil over medium-high heat.
Add the carrots and simmer until tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Add the broken pasta and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
Add the chicken and heat through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove the bay leaf and Parmesan rind and discard.
Stir in 1/2 of the cheese and the parsley.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Ladle the soup into serving bowls and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.