I like to serve this easy breakfast the day after Thanksgiving because it's comforting and delicious — without being too heavy — and it uses leftovers from the day before.
Technique tip: Buzz the eggs with the milk to create a super creamy egg mixture. The strata can be prepared and held raw the night before for baking the following morning.
Swap option: You can really put just about anything in this recipe.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced bacon
- 4 cups diced left over stuffing
- 2 cups shredded leftover turkey
- 2 cups grated Gruyere or Gouda cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease a 9- by 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
3. Crack the eggs into a medium size mixing bowl and pour in the milk and half-and-half. Season with salt and pepper and buzz using a stick blender to whisk (if you don't have a stick bender a whisk will work just fine).
4. Warm a medium sized sauté pan over medium heat and add the diced bacon. Cook until crispy then drain off all of rendered bacon fat and discard.
5. Allow the bacon to cool then combine the cooked bacon, shredded turkey, diced stuffing and the shredded cheese with the eggs and mix to combine using a rubber spatula.
6. Pour the egg mixture into the greased baking dish and top with diced butter. Cover with Foil and bake for 30 minutes or until the strata begins to set.
7. Remove the foil and continue to bake an additional 15 minutes or until the strata is puffed and lightly golden brown at the edges. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.