- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup carrots, julienned (or pre-cut matchstick)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 32 ounce organic vegetable broth (fat-free & no added msg)
- 1 cup organic red quinoa, rinsed and uncooked
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon hershey’s special dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ripe avocado, sliced for garnish (optional)
Spray and heat a large non-stick sauce pan with canola oil and sauté onion, pepper, carrots and garlic until onions become translucent.
Reduce heat to medium.
Slowly add vegetable broth, tomatoes, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and uncooked red quinoa.
Stir mixture and add chili powder, ground mustard, dark cocoa powder and pinch of baking soda.
Stir and simmer 25 minutes covered until quinoa has finished cooking, when the germ separates from the kernel.
Ladle into bowls.
Add a dollop of Greek yogurt and slice of avocado for garnish.
Nutritional value: 305 calories per serving