I often return home from a sweaty run wanting nothing more than a cold glass of water and a REALLY cold snack, but ice cream probably isn't the right thing to grab post workout. These pretty pops hit the mark with their blend of hydrating honeydew and potassium from the coconut water to help prevent muscle cramps. The kiwi kicks in plenty of vitamin C to help bust up those free radicals that form during intense exercise. There's even a little salt to help replace the electrolytes you lose during those sweat sessions.
Note: You will need six (3-ounce) ice pop molds with sticks.
- 2 kiwis, peeled
- 8 ounces coconut water
- 1 cup cubed honeydew melon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
1. Add one of the kiwis to the blender; slice the other into 6 thin wheels and set aside.
2. Add all remaining ingredients to the blender and combine until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large measuring cup with a spout or other spouted container.
3. Place 1 kiwi slice into each pop mold so that you can see the kiwi on the side of the mold.
4. Pour the melon mixture evenly into six pop molds and transfer to the freezer. Freeze for 5-6 hours, or overnight.
4. To unmold, run the pop briefly under warm water, remove and enjoy.
Frances Largeman-Roth, RDN, is a nutrition expert, writer and best-selling author. Her books include Feed the Belly, The CarbLovers Diet and Eating in Color. Follow her @FrancesLRothRD.