Making a low-carb breakfast on the go can be a challenge. Egg bites solve that problem. I heat them up in the microwave for 30-seconds and breakfast is served!
Technique tip: Freeze leftover egg bites individually. Pop them into the microwave for breakfast on the go!
Swap option: Depending on what leftover meat and vegetables you have from earlier in the week, you can vary the type of egg bites you make (ham and cheese, broccoli and cheddar, spinach and feta are all some of my personal favorites).
- 5 large eggs, whisked
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cottage cheese (4% milk fat )
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup leftover seasoned ground taco meat
- 1/2 cup assorted chopped vegetables
- Butter, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, salt and pepper. Add leftover taco meat and vegetables to egg mixture.
3. Pour equal amounts of the mixture into each well of the tin.
4. Bake for 35 minutes until eggs are completely cooked.
5. Remove from the oven and serve warm with butter, if desired.