Crunchy brown sugar-coated pecans and gooey melted mini marshmallows are the ultimate toppings for this classic sweet potato casserole. Have leftovers? You can turn them into sweet potato pancakes! (Click here for the recipe).
For the Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
For the Topping
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter, small dice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 4-quart baking dish.
2. Place the sweet potatoes in a medium pot. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until potatoes are fork tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the milk, cream, and butter until warm but not simmering.
4. Return the potatoes to the pot and add the warm milk mixture, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Using a handheld mixer, whip the potatoes until smooth and creamy with no lumps. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
5. For the topping: In a small bowl, mix pecans, brown sugar, flour, butter and salt.
6. Sprinkle topping mixture over sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with marshmallows.
7. Bake until marshmallows are golden brown, about 30 minutes.