These are so satisfying and a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. They're the perfect comfort food combo in a bite-sized package!
Technique tip: The more water you remove from the zucchini, the better your fritters will be. When you think you're done squeezing, squeeze some more.
Swap option: Try different kinds of cheese, like Parmesan or Monterey Jack. You can also play around with the toppings. Caramelized onions would be tasty!
- 1½ pounds zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini), grated
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream, chives and crumbled bacon, to garnish
1. Combine grated zucchini with 1 teaspoon salt and let stand in a colander for 10 minutes.
2. Place zucchini in the center of a cheesecloth or a clean dish towel (one that you don't mind if it gets stained) and squeeze, removing the water. Continue to squeeze until most of the water is gone (when you think you're done squeezing, squeeze some more!).
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine zucchini, mashed potatoes, cheese, flour, egg and garlic. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
4. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Form zucchini mixture into thin patties, about 2 tablespoons each, and place in pan. Cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate (fritters can be kept warm in a 200°F oven if making in batches).
5. Serve immediately topped with sour cream, chives and crumbled bacon, if desired.