I am a big fan of spinach artichoke dip. This dish is basically the same recipe as the classic dip but with pasta. What could be better?!
Technique tip: Cook the pasta a few minutes less than the package directions because it will continue to cook in the pan.
Swap option: You can make this in advance and put it in a casserole dish and top with cheese. Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes before serving.
- 1 pound rigatoni (or any short pasta)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 10-ounce package frozen spinach, cooked and drained
- 1 4-ounce jar artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season generously with salt.3.
Add pasta. Cook a few minutes less than package directions. Reserve 2½ cups pasta water. Drain.4.
Combine oil and garlic in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Sauté 1 minute. Add crushed red pepper. Add spinach and artichokes. Sauté a couple of minutes, season with basil, salt and pepper. Stir in 3/4 cup pasta water. Stir in cream cheese until it melts.5.
Add pasta and 1/2 cup pasta water to the pan. Toss to combine. If too thick, add more water.6.
Turn off heat. Stir in Parmesan. Top with mozzarella and put under broiler for 2-3 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.