Braising brats and finishing them on the grill gives them the best of both cooking techniques. A beer bath ensures a juicy and tender finish while the grill adds a wonderful smoky charred flavor.
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cans American lager beer
- 6 brats
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 hot dog buns
- Kansas City-style barbecue sauce
1. Create a 2-zone cooking fire on the grill with one side for direct heat and the other side for indirect heat cooking.
2. Slice onions into rings and set aside.
3. Place the aluminum pan over direct heat and pour in the beers. As the beer heats up, add the onions and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add the brats to the tub of beer and simmer for 15 minutes. Use tongs to roll the brats around to keep them covered and promote even cooking.
5. Remove the brats from the beer tub and place them over direct high heat. Continue to turn the brats to add a little color to all sides.
6. While the brats are on the grill, add butter to the onions and continue to simmer.
7. Once the internal temperature reaches 160°F in the center of the brat, place the brat back into the beer tub. Once all brats are done, place the brat tub over indirect heat until you are ready to serve.
8. Serve the brats on buns with the onions and a squirt of Kansas City-style barbecue sauce.