Bursting with calcium and iron, this phytonutrient-packed soup made of kale, spinach, arugula and coconut milk, will both satisfy and nourish you. A delicious soup that just so happens to be good for you!
Technique tip: This soup can be made ahead of time and frozen.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 10 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 5 cups spinach
- 3 cups arugula
- Two 13½-ounce cans coconut milk
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
1. In a large pot, over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until transparent.
2. Add 1/2 of the kale, spinach and arugula and cook until the leaves begin to wilt. Add the remainder of the greens to those already in the pot and continue to cook until all the greens have wilted and reduced in volume (take care not to overcook the greens you only want to wilt them. Overcooking will reduce the nutritive value of this soup).
3. Add both cans of the coconut milk, stirring to incorporate it in the greens. Let cook 2-3 minutes.
4. Working in batches, transfer some of the greens and coconut milk mixture to a blender. Begin to blend on low and gradually increase the power. Through the feeder add vegetable broth and continue to blend until completely smooth. Feel free to use more or less, depending on whether you want a thick or thin bisque. Transfer the blended mixture into a large container.
5. Mix in the nutmeg, add salt to taste and serve immediately.