This comforting side dish can be made ahead and easily reheated when it's time to serve.
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 stick unsalted butter, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large bunch kale, stems discarded, shredded and rinsed thoroughly of grit
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup soft goat cheese, at room temperature
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place the potatoes in a large stockpot with and fill with water to cover. Salt well and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until fork-tender.
2. Heat 1/2 stick of butter over medium heat in a large pan and saute the garlic and kale until tender, about 3-5 minutes, and set aside.
3. Drain the potatoes and return to pot. Mash with a potato masher and then add the cream gradually, mixing to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the kale and then the goat cheese, adjust the seasoning and serve hot.