This salad is so fresh tasting and easy to prepare. I like to make the dressing a day ahead so that it's even easier to assemble and serve.
Technique tip: Use a vegetable peeler to make the Parmesan shavings.
Swap option: Feel free to add grilled shrimp or chicken.
- 1 pound Tuscan kale, tough stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup Parmesan shavings
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
Place a pot of boiling water over a high heat and blanch the kale in the boiling water for one minute. Strain and pat dry with paper towel.
For the dressing:
In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients.
To assemble and serve:
Place the blanched kale, romaine lettuce and Parmesan shavings in a bowl. Pour the dressing over the leaves and toss gently. Sprinkle the pumpkin and sunflower seeds on top and serve.