Make dinner a fiesta by mixing a few everyday ingredients together — including your favorite barbecue sauce. And by tossing a can of kidney beans into the burger blend, you'll automatically bump up the recipe's fiber and overall nutrition. Feel free to enjoy each patty on a whole-grain bun with your favorite fixins or serve over a bed of leafy greens to cut carbs.
Technique tip: Transform these bites into mini sliders and garnish with festive toppings like roasted tomatoes and jalapeños skewered with toothpicks.
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans (about 1¾ cups cooked beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 pound ground turkey meat (93% lean)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup corn
- Kosher salt
1. Add drained beans to a large mixing bowl and mash by hand using a potato masher (it's fine to leave chunks and some whole beans throughout). Toss the remaining ingredients into the bowl with the beans and mix thoroughly.
2. Liberally coat a large skillet with oil spray. Shape mixture into patties and place on the skillet. Mist patty tops with oil spray and sprinkle kosher salt evenly over the tops. Cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, then gently flip, sprinkle kosher salt over the new tops, and cook second side for about 4-5 minutes (or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F).
3. Serve burgers on lightly toasted whole grain buns and top with optional lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles and ketchup and/or barbecue sauce.