- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large leeks, white and light green parts, sliced into 1/2-inch rings, washed well and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- a few slices of turkey bacon, cooked and diced (optional)
While we can debate how to pronounce "potato," there is no need for deliberation on the taste of this soup — it's souperb. Smooth, smoky and savory, this Potato Leek Soup hits the spot. The earthy flavors and nourishing ingredients will make you feel grounded and satisfied. The aromatic leeks offer immune-supporting vitamin C and a whole host of antioxidants, as well as a sweet, oniony flavor. Hearty potatoes add creaminess and a large dose of heart-healthy potassium to the pot. And while you'll slurp up this soup in minutes, the nutritional benefits will be long-lasting.
Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks, season with salt and stir to coat. Sauté until wilted, about 5 minutes.2.
Add potato, broth and thyme. Boil, then reduce heat and allow soup to simmer until potatoes are soft and tender, about 20 minutes. Then place in a blender and purée until smooth or use an immersion blender right in the pot. If the soup seems too thick, simply add 1/2 to 1 cup broth while puréeing to reach desired consistency. Put back in the pot and keep warm (or chill to serve cold).3.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add optional bacon to the pot or sprinkle over the top of individual bowls when serving.