- 3 cups loosely packed kale, stems removed
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 3/4-1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 cups whole-grain pasta, cooked
- 16 ounces grape tomatoes, halved
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Whip up this tasty spin on traditional pesto, stat! Each bright and vibrant bite contains a blend of earthy kale, toasty walnuts, aromatic basil, EVOO, garlic and Parmesan. The end result is a flavorful sauce that's bursting with vitamin C, beta-carotene and omega-3's, three nutrients that play a key role in enriching your skin's overall appearance. You can toss this power pesto with whole grain pasta, zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash — there's no wrong choice.Technique tip: I just put everything into the food processor and blend, no chopping required.
Swap option: Feel free to use any whole grain pasta you like, or other pasta alternatives like chickpea or lentil pastas, which tend to be higher in protein and fiber.
Add the kale, basil, Parmesan, broth, walnuts, salt, matcha and garlic to a food processor and pulse until the greens are finely chopped. Scrape down the sides as needed to ensure everything is incorporated and well blended. Then drizzle in the olive oil while you continue to pulse until everything is evenly blended. Season with additional salt, ground black pepper and garlic to taste (mix in 1 to 2 tablespoons extra broth if a thinner texture is desired).
Toss the kale pesto sauce with cooked pasta and grape tomatoes.