It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without a sweet potato casserole! My version is rich, creamy and indulgent but has no added sugars in the mix. My secret? Carrots! They're loaded with vitamins and minerals but have fewer carbs and calories than sweet potatoes. Plus, they help give this dish an amazingly vibrant color.
- 4 sweet potatoes (about 1.5 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bag (1 pound) baby carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 to 4 tablespoons whipped butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place the sweet potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan or pot, and cover the veggies with cold water. Bring it to a boil; reduce the pot to a simmer and cook the veggies until they can be easily pierced with a knife, about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Thoroughly drain the veggies and add them to a large bowl.
4. Using a hand masher or immersion blender, start blending the cooked sweet potatoes and carrots together. Add in the almond milk, butter and cinnamon and continue to mash the mixture until it's smooth. You may also use a food processor or blender for a super creamy texture.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Transfer the smooth, orange veggie mixture to a baking dish. Top the dish with 2 cups of mini marshmallows and bake until the marshmallows are lightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.