These chocolaty, fudgy bites are not only delicious but are perfect for beating the afternoon energy slump. They're so easy to make and packed with hearty oats and protein-rich peanut butter. Enjoy them room temp or frozen — yummy!
Technique tips: If some of the oil has separated to the top of your jar, be sure to mix it back into the nut butter before measuring. Also, if your peanut butter is stiff (versus soft and mushy), microwave it for 20 seconds before adding to the oat mixture. I like to mist my measuring cups/spoons with nonstick oil spray before adding the nut butter, so it glides out seamlessly and doesn't stick.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- Coarse kosher salt or sea salt
1. Add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix until well-combined.
2. Add the peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and water to the oat mixture. Mix until well combined (it will eventually form into a batter that resembles stiff cookie dough).
3. Shape into 25 balls (1 tablespoon worth) by forming each bite with your fingers and then rolling between your palms to create a smooth ball. Sprinkle each bite with some coarse kosher salt or sea salt. Alternatively, you can sprinkle a light coating of salt on the countertop and roll the bites in the salt.
4. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freeze them, as they're delicious frozen, too!