This delicious sandwich is so easy to make and perfectly filling. I make it for lunch or dinner. Even my toddler loves it!
Technique tip: Careful not to over-blend, as you want a chunky texture.
Swap option: You can use avocado and an extra splash of ume plum vinegar instead of vegan mayo.
- 1 (14-ounce) can salt-free chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo or 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons mashed avocado
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or whole-grain mustard
- 1½ tablespoons ume plum vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dulse seaweed (optional)
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more to taste) or crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 slices toasted bread, preferably sourdough or Ezekiel
- 4 leaves romaine or kale
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
1. Place the chickpeas, vegan mayo, mustard, vinegar, dulse, celery seeds, celery, black pepper and cayenne pepper into a food processor.
2. Pulse a few times until incorporated and minced. Careful not to over-blend; you shouldn't be pulsing more than 20 seconds.
3. Lightly toast your bread, then fill each sandwich with lettuce, chickpea "tuna" mash, tomato and onion.
4. If you plan on packing the sandwich for later, wrap it tightly in parchment paper to keep the filling intact.