I can't say enough good things about cabbage! This often-overlooked veggie is inexpensive and a versatile chameleon that pairs beautifully with all types of cuisines. It's also a great accompaniment to fish.
Technique tip: After buying miso paste, divide it up into smaller portions and store it in your freezer. It is one of those great ingredients to have on hand that can really enhance the flavor of a dish — and not just in Asian cooking.
Swap option: Replace the cabbage with another vegetable, such as zucchini.
- 1 tablespoon white or yellow miso paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1/2 small green cabbage, such as Napa or Savoy, cored, quartered, and thinly shredded (6 cups)
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Whisk together the miso paste, soy sauce, lime zest and juice, rice wine vinegar, Asian sesame oil and safflower oil in a large bowl. Toss the cabbage with the dressing and serve, garnished with sesame seeds.