- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, toasted and crushed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound baby sweet peppers, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 3 hot long finger peppers or Fresno chiles, thinly sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1½ teaspoons garlic salt
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Twenty 10-inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 2 hours or overnight
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 batch Marinated Sweet and Hot Peppers (recipe above)
I love this recipe because it's a guilt-free, satisfying snack that's easy to eat and cook. It's a good protein-forward item for your tailgate that'll give you energy for the big game.
Technique tip: Ask your butcher for beef tenderloin tips or ask them to cut it into chunks for you. Also, If you don't have a grill, use a cast iron pan. Preheat the pan over high heat, but then lower to medium. Use the 2 tablespoons of oil to sear the skewers.
Swap option: These would be great with skirt steak as well. If you're going veggie, zucchini cut into rounds or large mushrooms would both be good.
For the marinated sweet and hot peppers:1.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the fennel seed, garlic, vinegar, salt, black pepper, sugar and olive oil. Stir to combine, set aside.2.
Preheat a cast iron pan over medium heat for 5 minutes.3.
Working in batches, place peppers in the pan dry, stir occasionally until the center of the peppers are lightly charred, season with a pinch of salt, about 5 minutes per batch.4.
Add the charred peppers to the mixing bowl with the vinegar mixture. Let the peppers sit and marinate in the bowl for 20 minutes or until cool.5.
Once cooled, add fresh herbs, stir to combine. Serve within 2 hours or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
For the skewers:1.
In a small bowl, mix the garlic salt, black pepper, onion powder, dried minced onion (if using), celery seed, pepper flakes and Italian seasoning together.2.
In a separate large bowl, place the tenderloin and season with the spice mixture.3.
Thread the tenderloin cubes and onions on the skewers, alternating between the two, about 4-5 pieces of each per skewer. Then refrigerate or set aside until ready to cook.4.
Preheat grill to high, and lower to medium heat.5.
Drizzle the skewers with olive oil.6.
Place skewers on the grill and cook for 6-8 minutes, rotating halfway.7.
Place the skewers on a platter and top with marinated peppers.