Skip the mayo and opt for this olive-oil based Italian Shrimp Salad by Nick Lama, chef and owner of Avo in New Orleans.
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 20 raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon diced shallot
- 1 tablespoon diced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 oranges, segmented
- 1 cup green olives, pitted
- 4 cups arugula
In a medium pot, heat the olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, bay leaf and thyme. Steep for 20 minutes, then strain, reserving the flavored olive oil. Return the oil to the pot. Poach the shrimp in the olive oil at 180 degrees until pink. Removed the shrimp from the heat once cooked and place on a platter.
In the meantime, in a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, shallots, garlic, salt, black pepper and white balsamic vinegar. Drizzle in the olive oil slowly while continuously whisking.
In a large bowl, toss the shrimp, orange segments, olives and arugula with the vinaigrette. Serve.