This recipe for zuppa di pesce (Italian fish soup) is loaded with shrimp, clams, mussels, sea bass and calamari in a lightly spiced tomato white wine broth with cannellini beans.
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk of celery, finely diced
- 2 leeks, cleaned and finely diced
- 1 fennel bulb, finely diced
- 1 quart canned Italian plum tomatoes chopped with juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon spicy red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup clam juice (1 cup extra if needed)
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 pound filet of sea bass, cut in 4 pieces
- 12 head-on shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 20 clams (Manila)
- 12 cleaned mussels
- 1 pound calamari, cleaned and cut in slices
- 2 cups canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, sauté the carrot, onion, celery, leek, fennel, and tomatoes in 1/2 cup olive oil. Add the red pepper and oregano.
2. Add the white wine and reduce to half over medium heat. Add the clam juice and cook over medium to low heat for 15 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. In a large pot over low heat, sauté the garlic in 1/2 cup olive oil for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Add the fish and seafood and sauté for 2 minutes until golden brown on each side. Add the sauce and beans, and cook for about 15 minutes over low heat. Add extra clam juice if the soup seems too dense. Garnish with basil and serve.