This recipe for zuppa di pesce (Italian fish soup) calls for baking the seafood mixture in a casserole with a layer of Sardinian bread dough on top. The dough forms a delicate crust over the soup.
Pane Carasaú (Sardinian Bread)
- 1/2 cup durum flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Zuppa de Pesce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 quart white wine
- 1 pound calamari cleaned and cut into ¼ inch rings
- 20 Manila clams
- 12 cleaned mussels
- 12 head-on shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- One 1-pound sea bass fillet
- 1 quart canned clam juice (or substitute lobster or fish stock)
- 1 quart canned tomatoes with juices
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cooked fregola (Sardinian couscous)
- 5 leaves basil, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. In a large saucepan, sauté garlic in olive oil over a low heat. Pan sear the sea bass and seafood and deglaze with the white wine. Add clam juice, chopped tomatoes with juice, red pepper flakes, fregola and chopped basil. Season with salt to taste.
3. Transfer the seafood mixture to a large ovenproof casserole. Wet the edges of the casserole, cover with the pastry dough and press along the edges to seal the dough and form a cover for cooking.
4. Place in the oven and cook until the color of the pastry turns a light blond color.