This impressive seafood salad is part of Anthony and Elaina Scotto's Feast of the Seven Fishes menu for Christmas Eve.
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for garnish
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup pulp-free orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 4 oranges, pith and peel removed, segmented
- 2 cups white wine
- 1½ tablespoons black peppercorns
- 3 garlic cloves, cleaned, diced fine
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 quarts water
- 1 pound lobster meat, cut large dice (or prepackaged cooked lobster meat)
- 1 pound medium size shrimp, cleaned and deveined, cut into large dice
- 1 pound calamari, cleaned and cut into rings
- 2 pounds fresh cod fillets, cut into 2-by-2-inch squares
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup julienned onions
- 1/2 cup julienned celery
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the citrus vinaigrette: In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon and orange juices, garlic, and parsley, then add the orange segments.
To cook the seafood: In a large pot, place the white wine, peppercorns, garlic cloves, lemon juice, and 3 quarts of water. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat then lower the heat so that the liquid is at a simmer. Add the lobster and shrimp and simmer for 5 minutes, or until tender, then remove and set aside. In the same pot, add calamari and cod to the liquid, cook 3 to 4 minutes over a low simmer, then remove. Place seafood in covered bowl and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
To serve: Combine chilled seafood, julienned vegetables, and citrus vinaigrette; gently toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with orange segments and serve.