Using rice instead of bread, and adding savory sausage and melty cheeses, gives this stuffing a distinctly Italian flavor.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground veal
- 2 pounds rice, cooked al dente according to package directions
- 1½ pounds mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large sauté pan over medium heat, brown the sausage in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Remove it to a large bowl. Sauté the onion, beef, and veal in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil until brown and add it to the bowl.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the meat, rice, chicken broth, mozzarella and Parmesan.
4. Place the mixture in a casserole dish, and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.