- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cup garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 10 cup large pitted green olives, chopped
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted bel peppers
- 1 cup (1-lb) round bread loaf (about 7-inches in diameter)
- 4 ounce thinly sliced ham
- 4 ounce thinly sliced mortadella
- 4 ounce thinly sliced salami
- 4 ounce sliced provolone cheese
- 1/2 ounce red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 ounce arugula leaves
In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar, garlic and oregano to blend.
Gradually whisk in the oil.
Stir in the green and kalamata olives and roasted peppers.
Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
Using a serrated knife, slice off the top inch of the bread load.
Hollow out the bottom and top halves of the loaf.
Spread some of the vinaigrette in the bread bottom.
Layer the meats and cheese in the bottom half.
Top with onion, then the arugula.
Spread the remaining vinaigrette on the cut side of the bread top, then replace the bread top.
(The sandwich can be made a day ahead.
Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate.)
Cut the sandwich into wedges and serve.