This super-sized sandwich is great for feeding big groups with minimal effort. Assemble the meat-, cheese- and veggie-stuffed sandwich, slice, serve — and then sit back, relax and watch it disappear.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces thinly sliced salami
- 5 ounces thinly sliced capicola
- 5 ounces thinly sliced mortadella
- 5 ounces thinly sliced provolone cheese
1. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir to mix well, then slowly whisk in olive oil until incorporated.
2. Lay the bottom half of the loaf on a work surface and spread the pepperoncini and cherry peppers over the bread. Scatter evenly with lettuce and layer with tomatoes. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the red wine vinaigrette.
3. Layer the meats, one at a time, over the tomatoes and top with a layer of provolone cheese. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the cut side of the top of the loaf.
4. Close the sandwich and cut into 3- to 4-inch pieces. Serve.