- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, preferably Tabasco
- 1/4 cup smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6)
- 1 quart all-purpose flour
- 1 quart corn starch
- 3/4 cup smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup popcorn salt
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, preferably Tabasco
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Oil, for frying
- 12 slices Brie, about 1 ounce each, no longer than the length of the bun
- 6 potato buns, lightly toasted
- Sliced pickles
I love this dish! It's one of the best chicken sandwiches out there. It's simple, it's rich and a crowd-pleaser.
Technique tip: Use a probe-style thermometer to ensure proper cooking temperature.
Swap option: Swap chicken for pork chops or turkey cutlets.
For the marinade:
Mix all ingredients with a whisk. Add chicken and marinate for at least 1 hour. Can be done up to 1 day ahead.
For the chicken fry mix:
Mix all ingredients well.
For the hot sauce butter:
Combine all ingredients in a cold saucepan and heat on low, stirring constantly, until all butter is emulsified. Remove from heat.
For the sandwich:1.
Fill up your fryer or Dutch oven with enough oil in it to float the chicken, 2-3 inches deep. Heat to 350°F.2.
Remove chicken from marinade and dredge in chicken fry mix. Leave chicken in mix for 1 minute, shake off excess flour and fry chicken in two separate batches for 5-6 minutes, flipping once. Final temperature of chicken should be 165°F.3.
Place chicken on a wire rack to cool and top with Brie to melt.4.
Place chicken on bottom bun, top with 1 ounce of hot sauce butter and pickles.